If you have kids under 12, the Quad Cities is a great spot to spend a weekend away any time of the year. (And if you are from the Quad Cities, you can have a wonderful staycation.)
There are plenty of activities to keep you busy making memories – even in the middle of the winter. Check out our picks for a trip with your family! (You could stay busy for a weekend or a full week with our added ideas at the bottom of this post.)
Where to visit:
The John Deere Pavilion in downtown Moline is a blast for all ages.
Go across the river to downtown Davenport for a taste of culture at the Figge Art Museum. Adults will love the rotating art exhibits. Kids will love the hands-on area, where they can create their own art, build towers with blocks, and more.
For something out-of-the-ordinary, swing by the Davenport SkyBridge. Kids love the long bridge and the changing lights. It’s also a great place to take in the downtown and river views.
For the best spot to burn off pent-up energy, stop by the Family Museum, filled with exhibits for kids of all ages. Kids can shop at the market, make pizza, learn to use tools, play in the indoor water area, and more. (The Family Museum also hosts wonderful family events throughout the year. Check the website for a full schedule.)
Where to eat:
For a mix of fun and dining, visit QC Family Entertainment. Eat pizza before enjoying an evening of bowling, arcade games, laser tag and more.
Enjoy lunch at Happy Joe’s Jungle Bungle near NorthPark Mall. Enjoy pizza, spaghetti, salads, ice cream and more from this locally owned pizza parlor. This restaurant features a fun center that kids just love.
And no vacation is complete without dessert. We love to go to Lagomarcino’s for a special treat in a traditional soda shop. Try a hot fudge sundae, soda or homemade candies. (Lunch is great, too.)
Do you have more time? Add one of these stops to your list:
- Fryxell Geology Museum (We love this hidden treasure at Augustana College – perfect for animal and dinosaur lovers.)
- Quad City Botanical Center (The outdoor children’s garden is wonderful during warmer months, but the indoor gardens are a wonderful escape when it’s cold outside.)
- Putnam Museum (Check out the exhibits, Science Center and even 2D and 3D movies on a giant screen.)
- Niabi Zoo (Open April to October, kids love to feed the giraffes, and ride the train and carousel.)
- Snowstar Winter Park (Open in the winter, try the tube hill, snowboarding or skiing.)