Love sweeps through the air with the ever-important February 14th creeping up on us. In the midst of planning treats and cards for school parties and/or the regular busy schedule life brings, many of us lose track of this day of love. A day that is important to celebrate with your significant other (S.O.), your children, and family.
I’ve seen many individuals rush to find cards or gifts last minute to show the people in their lives just how much they care about them. With this in mind, I set out to find a few of the best Quad Cities Valentine’s Day gift and/or plans for both S.O. and family relationships ahead of time, in an attempt to create a miniature-one-stop-shop for Valentine’s Day ideas.
For your significant other:
- Experiences. What’s more important than tangible items? Experiences, or at least that is my personal opinion. Of course we all love gifts, but it’s the experiences, and the memories that come with said experiences, that last for a lifetime. The thing about “experiences,” also, is that they fit any budget — romance doesn’t have to be expensive. It’s the thought behind it that counts, and isn’t it about the love anyway? To take a look at a list of “experiences,” that are happening around the QC this year, visit our events page. Not what you need? Brainstorm ideas such as a spa day, learning to ski or going tubing, a second “first” date, and more!
- V-Day Getaway. Want to get away? It’s certainly a grand experience, in which you will make memories for a lifetime. If you’re able to plan a trip out of the QC, that is great; however, it’s also fun to “escape from reality” in your own hometown. The local Hotel Blackhawk in downtown Davenport, ranks as one of the most grand, relaxing and romantic spots for a get-away. The QC is also home to several Heart of America hotels, Choice hotels and Marriott’s with great service at the right price. If you’re feeling more up to the local “B&B” lifestyle, take a look at some of the QC’s historic charm with the Strawberry Farm B&B in Muscatine or Winborn’s B&B in Davenport. For more B&Bs, visit this link.
- Gourmet Cooking (at home). Sometimes the romantic dinner experience can be better when it comes from the heart at home. Even with a busy schedule, grocery stores like Hy-Vee will easily deliver the exact groceries you need to make your loved one a special meal. Want to support small business? Try these local grocers: Katy’s Import Foods (Moline), Heritage Natural Foods (Moline/Davenport), La Primavera (Moline), Supermercado Monarca (East Moline), and Abarrotes Carrillo (Davenport).
For your family/children:
- Dinner date(s) and Foodie frenzies. Valentine’s Day can always be made into a family affair. Dress up and head out for a nice dinner at local QC delicacies. Want to go more casual? Try the QC favorites, Los Agaves, La Rancharita, Happy Joe’s, Arthur’s, Whitey’s and more! Continue the fun by heading out for some bowling at QC Family Entertainment Center or catching a movie at one of our local theaters. Don’t forget LeClaire’s Cocoa Crawl takes place from 2-5pm on February 10th, and could be the perfect spot to share candy and sweet chocolate with your beloved family.
- Valentine Indoor Music and Moonlight Walk. On Thursday, February 15th, the Black Hawk State Historic Site will be hosting its annual Valentine Indoor Music and Moonlight Walk. Considered perfect for “families, couples and singles,” and equipped with a warm fire, cider, cocoa and donuts, it’s a great way to get in some family bonding time and let them know they are loved during this holiday season!
To learn more about other Valentine’s Day activities happening in the Quad Cities area, please visit our main web page to search for events and recommendations. Happy Valentine’s day, Quad Citians! Remember it’s about the relationships and the memories you make (but, of course, don’t forget those beloved and traditional V-Day flowers!).